Thursday, October 25, 2007

Am I alone here?

OK, I have decided to once again vent to my technological friend, that I will call Mac.

Yesterday while watching TV with the Mrs. there was this add for Buitoni pasta meals. If you have not seen it I am sorry, it is not on the web, so unfortunately no link...

Anyway, there is this woman in a toga, with a lyre, and she is going around the grocery store "inspiring" people to by Buitoni pasta products. She then states that she is a muse, blah, blah, blah... Now that seems like a decent selling point until you look a bit closer. The woman cast is red haired, green eyed and obviously Irish. I didn't know that the Greeks believed the deities known as "The Muses" to be of Irish decent. I guess Zeus may have had some Irish in him?!!

And I did not realize that Irish daughters of Greek gods would go around promoting Italian food.

Now I don't want to come off as an ass or bigot, or racist, etc. I just wish that instead of just trying to sell a product, people would at least not try to insult everyone else's intelligence! I would like to think that some ass that payed attention in history would have said, "hey wait a minute guys". but then I am sure that some other ass said, oh yeah like who else is going to know that Poindexter? Well I did.

Is it to much to ask that we correctly portray things? I am sure that next to the internet, TV has to be the 2nd most popular place to get information. I just wish that what we saw on it would be at least somewhat accurate. Am I alone here?

4 comments:

Kaytabug said...

I love you baby!
I am glad I didn't fight you on this blog topic.

Fianna said...

Well...was she hot? How were her tits? Isn't that what really matters? Accuracy in advertising. Psshhaw.

Jill said...

mmhmm. i think a lot of the people that write commercials should be tied up and forced to watch the darn things. yup like the TAG deodorant one where they put a guy in a compound with twentysomething scantily clad girls all looking like they want to hump each other while bouncing on a trampoline. like that would happen ANYWHERE in real life. okay. maybe i just hate the blatant sexism. whatever. :-) great observation on that though!

Anonymous said...

She's not Irish at all. She's actually of "mostly Italian" descent, according to her bio, and the rest a mix of Greek and Polish.